Do you agonize over making the right decision until you are sick with worry? Do you stress about not knowing which decision is truly best for you and your family? Do you constantly worry you will make the wrong decision without even knowing it and some how hurt your future in the process?
The truth is, worrying about your decisions isn’t making you a better decision maker. It is making you a better worrier! If you want to make better decisions, the first thing you have to do is identify your natural decision-making style. This will enable you to see why you make the choices you do and what you need to do to make better ones.
Get started by asking yourself these three questions:
- Do I make lists, gather facts and analyze every component of the issue until I am comfortable making a decision? If so, you are a logical decision maker.
- Do I process all of my emotions first and then make a decision based on how I feel? If so, you are an emotional decision maker.
- Do I get a gut feeling about the situation and make my decision based on what my gut says? If so, you are an intuitive decision maker.
We all naturally fall into one of those main decision-making styles. The key to making better decisions is to look at each situation from ALL angles -- from a logical, intuitive and emotional point of view. This is called taking the “holistic” view of the situation.
There is no right or wrong way of making decisions but if you could choose to look at the opportunity holistically using all three perspectives, you will find that you are much clearer on how to handle everything that comes your way.
Pay attention to what comes into your mind first "I think," "I feel," or "my gut tells me…". In every situation, you can gain a clear vision of what something really is and see the bigger picture.
Are you ready to give it a try?
Follow these two steps when faced with a decision:
- Take a moment to breathe. Get yourself centered and in a frame of mind that says “I can tackle anything!”
- As you begin to think about the situation, ask yourself these three questions.
- How do I “feel” about this decision?
- What does my “gut” tell me to do?
- "Logically,” what is the first thing I would do?
By simply taking a little extra time to think things through on ALL different levels, you will empower yourself to make better decisions and you will feel more confident in the decisions you make.
It seems overly simple, right? That's because it is!!! It doesn't take much to begin to see things differently so happy decision-making!!!! Let me know how it's changed your perspective on the world around you!!